This article contains a comprehensive list of Universities in South-East Nigeria.
Serving or even Studying in one of the schools in the south-east is literary everybody’s dream because of the states rich in resources nature and Imo state happens to be the biggest and largest state in south-east Nigeria with lots of business opportunities, no wonder we can barely find a poor and wretched soul in any of these states
Southeast Nigeria is a region of Nigeria that borders Cameroon to the east and the Atlantic ocean to the south. It is the homeland of Kwa speaking people and the dominant language of this region is Igbo. Southeastern Nigeria is also where the oil wealth of Nigeria originates from, which has led to environmental degradation of its extreme south in the mangroves, rivers, and swamps facing the Atlantic. Although southeastern Nigeria is often referred to as a region by Nigerians, it stopped being an official region in 1967 after Nigeria switched to states.
Read Also: 10 Best Accreditated Medical Schoolsin Nigeria
How Many States Are in South-East Nigeria
We have a total of 5 states in the south-East part of Nigeria, they include
In summary, These South Eastern states are populated by mostly Igbo Business Men and women and it is not a debate that most of the prominent and rich Igbo celebrities in Nigeria happens to originate from at least one of these aforementioned states
Having Understood that South-East Nigeria contains 5 states and are populated by mostly Igbo people, let us quickly move into the primary topic of this article
List of Universities in South-East Nigeria
Below is a comprehensive list of Universities in South-East Nigeria according to state arrangement.
Six (6) universities exist in Anambra State, of which one belongs to the federal government, one belongs to the state government while four are privately-owned.
1. Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (Federal)
2. Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli (State)
3. Madonna University, Okija (Private)
4. Paul University, Awka (Private)
5. Tansian University, Umunya (Private)
6. Legacy University, Okija Anambra State (Private)
Abia State has a total of six (6) universities, of which one belongs to the federal government, one belongs to the state government while three are privately-owned.
1. Michael Okpara University of Agricultural Umudike (Federal)
2. Abia State University, Uturu (State)
3. Gregory University, Uturu (Private)
4. Clifford University Owerrinta Abia State (Private)
5. Spiritan University, Nneochi Abia State (Private)
There are Six (6) universities in Enugu State, of which one belongs to the federal government, one belongs to the state government while four are privately-owned.
1. University of Nigeria, Nsukka (Federal)
2. Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (State)
3. Caritas University, Enugu (Private)
4. Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State (private)
5. Renaissance University, Enugu (Private)
6. Coal City University Enugu State (private)
We have just three (3) universities in Ebonyi State, of which one belongs to the federal government, one belongs to the state government while one is privately-owned.
1. Alex Ekwueme University, Ndufu-Alike, Ebonyi State (Federal)
2. Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki (State)
3. Evangel University, Akaeze (Private)
Four (4) universities exist in Imo State, of which one belongs to the federal government, two belong to the state government while one is privately-owned
1. Federal University of Technology, Owerri (Federal)
2. Imo State University, Owerri (State)
3. Eastern Palm University Ogboko, Imo State (State)
4. Hezekiah University, Umudi (Private)
5. Maranathan University, Mgbidi, Imo State (Private)
6 Claretian University of Nigeria, Nekede, Imo State (Private)
All the Universities mentioned in this post have been accredited and fully approved by the Nigerian Universities Commission (NUC)
Conclusion: List of Universities in South-East Nigeria
In conclusion, there are about 5 States in South-East Nigeria such as Imo, Anambra, Enugu, Ebonyi and Abia state Respectively. This post entails both federal, state, and private Universities.
Legacy Benjamin is an Educationist and a graduate of UAM. He is the brain behind FirstclassNigeria. He is a Passionate Blogger, SEO Specialist and Prolific Writer.